Man walking on roof next to solar panels in a mountain region.


Carbon neutrality and circularity

Companies can only be successful in the long-term if they conserve natural resources and continuously reduce the environmental impact of their actions. We already have this topic in mind across many areas of our business. Our first steps to improving our ecological footprint are: placing focus on reducing CO₂ emissions and introducing the ideas of a circular economy. As a reliable partner we support our customers on their journey to a more environmentally friendly future. 

Carbon Neutrality

We achieved carbon neutrality within our operations by the end of 2023. We have reduced 60% of our Scope 1 and 2 emissions since 2019. The remaining 40% of our CO₂ emissions worldwide will be offset by projects developed exclusively for us, together with the Hilti Foundation and ClimatePartner. This marks the first milestone on our journey towards achieving net zero by 2050.

Reduce. Replace. Produce. Offset ​

  • We are continuously reducing our direct CO₂ emissions through efficiency measures and behavioral training.
  • We use green electricity and, where possible, climate-friendly alternatives for heating energy. We are converting our global vehicle fleet to run on more environmentally friendly technologies over the next few years.
  • With our global photovoltaic installations, we have reached an output of 9000 MWh in 2023 and are planning further expansion.
  • We offset CO₂ emissions that cannot be completely avoided by making CO₂ savings of an equal amount elsewhere. In collaboration with the Hilti Foundation and a renowned external partner, we are developing our own portfolio of offset projects.

Our commitment to net-zero carbon emissions with SBTi

To do even more next to our ambitions to become CO₂ neutral, we have committed to the Science Based Target initiative (SBTi) in line with the goals of the Paris Agreement. This means we’ll enhance not only our own emissions, but also the emissions of our suppliers and partners to support them in the race towards decreasing their carbon footprint. Read more about our SBTi commitment.

Check our progress

Circular Economy

We want to lead our industry in circularity.

In a circular economy, economic success is separated from resource consumption, resulting in resource conservation.  The focus is on durability, reuse and recycling. These principles are consistent with the values we have always lived by. We focus on the entire life cycle of our products: from design to production to repair.  

  • We already consider the ability to recycle the mateials we use in the development stage of our products. 
  • During production, we minimize the use of water and energy and continuously reduce the amount of production waste. 
  • The quality, durability and repairability of our products are central to this. 
  • The "use instead of own" approach for a wide range of Hilti equipment is becoming increasingly popular with our customers.  

Green building

At the end of its useful life, a building and its many components serve as important and valuable sources of raw materials. As part of our effort to ensure transparency, more and more of our products are certified in terms of environmental and health aspects by external agencies.

Check our progress Green building practices
1 / 2
Striving for Carbon Neutrality

At Hilti we lift our sustainability efforts to a new level. We aspire to build a better future by caring for our environment – and we want to be CO₂ neutral by 2023.

2 / 2

We want to lead our industry in circularity.


With our SBTi commitment, we contribute to the sustainable transformation of the construction industry.

Jahangir Doongaji
CEO, Hilti Group

Hilti Group has committed to the Science Based Targets initiative in line with the goals of the Paris Agreement. To achieve our ambitions, we will invest triple digit million CHF in the coming years.

Beyond our ambition to become CO₂-neutral by 2023, we are also tackling emissions outside of our own operations on our way to becoming net zero.

We made this significant promise to support our customers in the race towards decreasing their carbon footprint, committing to set both short- and long-term targets.


Our SBTi Commitment

More information

Learn more about SBTi

Click here

More elements of our Sustainability Strategy

Green Buildings